Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This Novel-Writing Thing

So, I said I had decided to aim for that lovely goal of writing a 50,000 word novel within the month of November.  It started out beautifully: the idea came and began to flow as the characters took life and I wrote the 1,667 words I needed a day, enjoying the surprises happening as the plot began to form itself.

I am still writing, but my measly contributions of a few hundred words to the word-count mean that I am seriously behind.  The problem is neither lack of desire or inspiration, but simply time.  It is difficult to work long show days and still have time to write.

Thus I have a quandary: what do I do?

It is incredibly difficult for me not to do what I have set out to do.  Hence I would rather not abandon my goal.  Yet perhaps I ought to put my energy into other projects and let this novel grow more slowly.  Is there any great advantage to writing another novel to add to my files of interesting-but-not-at-all-worth-publishing-and-maybe-not-even-worth-reading works?  I am not sure yet.

There is certainly worth in practicing my writing of fiction, something I have done not much in the past few years.  I do want to see where this story goes.

Still the question remains: should I force myself on to the end and to complete the 50,000 words within this month of which only twelve days remain?

No comments: