Monday, November 12, 2007

Greetings and Salutations to the Wide World

"The first million words are practice." Thus said Isaac Asimov, and his words, if not literal truth, are at least something many people ought to keep in mind.

Though I have never bothered to calculate the quantity of words contained in my collective writings, yet by estimation I am certain that I have more than exceeded that count. Yet still I would not easily pass up an opportunity to increase my skill, such as this, despite the requirements of the month of November, alternatively known as National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo).

To embark upon such a quest--to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days--may seem daunting, and not without good reason. You may start out the month eager and expectant, not knowing where the story is headed, yet not caring, but merely reveling in the experience. Then the days go on. The time comes for the story to decide its course, and doubts ensue. You may begin to wonder whether it will be possible to complete the novel, or even to pass the 10,000 word mark. Then comes the time when the story comes together: those subconscious parts of your mind have really been working all the while, and those vague ideas come together into something that begins to resemble a cohesive whole. The first obstacle has been overcome. None after can ever equal it, for now the end is in sight, different than was first envisioned, and all the better for it.

At just over 20,000 words, I am right on schedule. As usual, my story threatens to grow beyond control and likely beyond the requisite 50k, but not in such a vast epic manner as too many of my ideas before--not yet anyway. I am enjoying it, even at the relatively slow pace I am taking it. I can even say I look forward to the revision in December when I figure out in what order to place the chapters so that they better move the narrative toward the currently unknown and mysterious ending.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heya Cap. Good to see you netting.

Nickel Halfwise said...

Well, we will hope that it continues to be so.