Monday, November 19, 2007

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, An Artist's Life For Me


This past weekend I decided to try the artist's life. It was an interesting experience and one that was perhaps not as authentic as it might have been, for I did at least did sell a few things, despite the lack of visitors to the bazaar.

I did at least manage to cover most of my materials costs. However, I also had to sit there for two long days. There were of course the times when I talked with people, whether friends or strangers, including the time when we played 'I Doubt It' and Fr. Carl walked over and asked whether he wanted to know what we were playing and I said, "I doubt it."

It was not completely dull, not even as dull as I might have made it seem. Sebastian was selling wood swords he had made and several of his friends took it upon themselves to become his salesmen. One of them was quite good at it, and it was most interesting—and often quite amusing and even hilarious at times—to watch the reactions he received.

The hardest thing about it was that I was there probably a total of over 18 hours, which I could have spent writing, and if I had, I likely would have written at least 18,000 words. Instead I managed to write only a mere 2,400; this was due partially to the distraction of being in the middle of a room where children are running about and people are talking, and partially to the measly battery my laptop has, and mostly to my not leaving the table to go hide in a corner by an electrical socket. Of course, the problem is those 18,000 words I could have written would have gotten me no closer to the earning money in a way other than being employed at the Berry Barn.

I learned many things from the experience, however. Firstly, it is more beneficial to concentrate my time in one day upon one end rather than working on many various projects at once. Secondly, I need to learn how not to wait until the last moment. Thirdly, it might actually be possible to make a bit of money for college.

Furthermore, I also got many compliments upon my work. This means I am no longer an artist in my own eyes only. Huzzah!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You also absorbed a reasonably compelling ambience, which you have now conveyed, and can quite probably convey again in a story at a later date. That is, I think, an unpriceable use of eighteen hours.

Anonymous said...

Your calligraphy is amazing. You could probably get commissions for wedding invitations and other boring things to make money.